AliExpress is a Chinese e-commerce company that is owned by the Alibaba Group. It has been attracting buyers since 2010. AliExpress is just like eBay, Flipkart, or Amazon i.e. it is a B2C business that operates in over 20 countries in Europe alone. You don’t have to pay anything to download the AliExpress app. It is possible to set up your shop on AliExpress. For that, you need to register on the Alipay business account. Alipay is similar to PayPal in operation. It means that it allows you to accept and send payments across different countries.
Benefits of Selling on AliExpress
These are some key benefits of using the AliExpress eCommerce platform:
- You can upload unlimited products on AliExpress for selling.
- AliExpress does not charge any fee for selling the products. However, you only need to pay a commission that can range from 5% to 8% of every transaction. The exact commission percentage varies from one category to another. The commission rates offered by AliExpress are one of the most reasonable in the eCommerce market.
- It is possible to sell your products listed on Shopify, Magento, and other online stores if you are already registered with them.
- If you are already selling on Amazon, eBay, or other eCommerce marketplaces, you can integrate your existing inventory on AliExpress using connectors.
- If you have any queries or doubts, you can chat with the AliMe Bot that remains functional from 9 am to 5 pm every day.
- AliExpress offers mediation services if there are any disputes between the buyers and sellers.
- To access tutorials to start selling products on AliExpress, you can use AliExpress University.
- As a seller, you can set your returns policy and make optimum use of promotional events to sell your products.
How to create an account on AliExpress?
The following steps need to be followed to sell merchandise or products on AliExpress:
Check your eligibility
To be able to sell products through AliExpress, you need to own a shop in mainland China. In 2019, AliExpress allowed shop owners from Spain, Turkey, Italy, and some other European countries to sell their products on AliExpress. It is predicted that AliExpress will allow shop merchants from across Europe to sell through their platform. This will surely boost the sales and revenue of this eCommerce company.
Create an account on Alipay
Alipay is a third-party payment service that offers robust security features to users. To sell products on AliExpress, you need to create a business account on Alipay first. Even brands can register themselves on Alipay. You can even register on this payment service platform if you work as an agent for a particular brand. The documents related to the brand and your qualifications need to be uploaded to verify your authenticity in this case.
Choose a plan
Before creating an account on Alipay, you will be asked to choose a pricing plan or package. It will be charged as a service fee for using the payment gateway of Alipay. Apart from that, you must also pay a technical fee annually to help the brand improve its technical specifications and resolve technical issues.
Start selling on AliExpress
Once you register yourself as a business or brand on Alipay, it will be easy for you to start selling the products on AliExpress. You can select a shop name under which you will be selling the products. Be careful while selecting a shop name as it can be changed only once after that.
While creating an account on AliExpress, you need to provide documents related to your business and tax. Once you submit your application, it usually gets approved within 3 working days. The following products can be sold on AliExpress:
- Furniture and decor items
- Mother and baby products
- Stationery items
- Electronic items
- Accessories related to motorcycles and cars
- Suitcases and bags
- Lights and lighting accessories
- Home appliances
- Home and garden tools
- Sports items
- Leisure items
- Phones and related accessories
- Hobby items and accessories
- Security appliances
If you manufacture or promote any of these products, it will be easier for you to sell them on the AliExpress eCommerce marketplace. You may also sell beauty products, food items, watches, health products, jewelry and accessories, wigs and hair accessories, etc. on AliExpress. However, you need special authorization to sell these products.
The products that sellers are prohibited from selling on AliExpress include tobacco and related products, dangerous chemicals, medical equipment and tools, military tools, expensive metals, and weapons.
How to update poduct information on AliExpress
Before selling the products on the AliExpress eCommerce platform, you must update the product information on it. On the merchant panel of your account, you find an option named ‘Product Information Template’. By using this template, you can add or change product information easily.
Similarly, you must also download the ‘Price Inventory Template’ to change the prices and stock-related information. For instance, if you want to change the price of certain products or inform the customers whether a particular product is in stock or not, you can use this template.
The PIM (Product Information Management) software is used to upload the product catalog in bulk. However, using the above templates will make your job easier.
The following details have to be updated on the products pages to provide a smooth shopping experience to the buyers:
- AliExpress supports 18 languages. The default language of the product page must be mentioned on the product pages.
- The product name should be clear and short. It may include brand name, model number, and keywords if required.
- The category and sub-category of the products must be mentioned while listing products on this eCommerce platform.
- It is advised that you upload at least 6 product images for every product. These product images can show it from different angles and may be used to briefly explain its working. You can make use of photo editor apps like Blend that allows you to create e-commerce-friendly product photos by choosing the right backgrounds and templates.
- The details of every product should be clearly stated on the product page.
- The minimum order quantity should also be mentioned on the product page.
- The shipping country, stock-related details, prices, detailed description, delivery time, and other details related to logistics should also be available for the buyers.
That’s pretty much all you need to know to start selling on AliExpress. Good luck!